Friday, December 15, 2006

Recipe #4: Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Strawberry Mash

I am starting to lose faith in Gale. This is the third failure out of the four recipes I've tried in the book. I'm not sure what I did wrong but when I made this custard dessert, the gelatin totally separated from the custard leaving a clear liquidy mess speckled with my precious vanilla beans. I am a bit disappointed since the custard part still tasted good... but just a bit powdery (not sure why). Maybe the gelatin didn't soften enough before I added it to the buttermilk mixture (it was a least 3 or 4 minutes though) but why would it separate? Most of the recipes I see online are pretty similar to Gale's... I wonder why it messed up. Blah.

On a more positive note, I jumped on the bandwagon and baked a Minimalist Loaf. Its actually my second once since my first one didn't get such a good rise. I'll post some pictures as soon as I've cut it open.

No comments: